One of the things I love most about this project is the good mistake I made. Don't you love it when that happens? I had originally covered the chipboard letters with paper and a super strong liquid adhesive only to find that I didn't like the way it looked. I was hoping that I could salvage the letters and get the paper off. Well half the paper came off and the other half did not. Before I tossed them, I decided to try inking them to see what they would look like. I ended up loving them. The roughed up look goes great for a boy theme.
The other day I was cooking dinner and Drew was sitting at the kitchen table painting. Usually when he paints he globs the colors on top of each other and then smears it all around until the picture is a big brown smudge. He never rinses the brush between colors or ever worries about staying in the lines. I'm chopping away when I hear Drew say, "Mommy, I'm going to paint you a picture." When he proudly announced that he was done I walked over expecting to see the same brown mush I had always seen. Instead I saw a painting where he had obviously concentrated very hard on. He even took the time to rinse his brush and tried to stay in the lines. I was so impressed. After it dried it went up for display on the fridge. Afterwards, Drew gave me a big hug and said, "Thank you for making me happy Mommy." What a sweetie!