Tuesday, June 9, 2009

down she goes.

Whew. The last week has been rough.

Last Wednesday night I was sitting on the living room floor working on some stuff for the upcoming Scrap-a-palooza event (this Saturday) and thought to myself, "Man, I'm way ahead. Like way, way ahead. I bet by the end of this weekend I will have everything ready for the big event." Famous last....thoughts?

I wake up at 4:00 a.m. and my throat feels a little scratchy. No biggie, right?

I wake up at 5:00 a.m. and now it's scratchy and every time I swallow it feels like a big lump is stuck in my throat.

I wake up at 6:00 a.m. and have to actually touch my throat to make sure I don't have a jaw breaker the size of Texas in there because it sure feels like it.

At 7:00 a.m. Jackson wakes up. Crap. I can't get up. Like seriously don't have even the slightest ounce of energy to roll my ass off the side of the bed.

I tried to get Drew to entertain Jackson with any toy that would light up or make noises (those aren't too hard to find around here). I peek one weak eyelid open just in time to see Drew hurl a block into Jackson's crib. Crap. This isn't going to work. I was hoping to get Jackson to hold off until Mike got home so he could take care of the kiddos while I tried to sleep off the sickness. That plan was thrown out the window for fear that Jackson would end up with a bump on his head.

I sit up and am instantly greeted with a splitting headache. While trying to keep my balance and not pass out I get Jackson out of his crib, feed the kids breakfast (while spilling Drew's cereal twice) and back in bed in what had to be record time. Mike got home and made me go to urgent care. I was content to stay in bed but Drew was starting to break out in a rash so I figured we could both go. Make a little family day out of the whole thing.

We get there and are checking in when Mike says, "Hey Honey! You have all of those symptoms!"

Me: "What symptoms?"

Nurse: "Uh oh. Where going to have to ask you to wear this mask."

Me: "What symptoms?"

And then I see that the waiting room is wallpapered in signs with a list of symptoms. Symptoms for swine flu. Great. I have the pig flu. Crap.

So there I sat in a crowded waiting room with a bright yellow mask over my mouth and nose. A big, huge sign on my face that screamed, "don't sit next to me, I have the pig flu!" I would like to say that I laid my head in the chair and covered my face in embarrassment but actually it was because I couldn't hold my own head up.

We spent most the day there and I learned that you CAN have strep throat AND tonsillitis at the same time. Up until last Thursday I thought they were the same thing. Just for fun my body decided to throw in an ear infection too. Geez. I think I was so happy that they didn't quarantine me and tell me I had swine flu that I didn't care what I had. It's not that I'm scared of the swine flu, it's that awful name. Pig flu. Flu of the swine. Big, stinky, dirty pig flu. I bet you wouldn't turn your head at something called butterfly flu. It just sounds cleaner... and a little prettier.

So to the pharmacy we went. The doctor wrote me a prescription for antibiotics, I wrote one for milkshakes. The second we got home I planted my sick butt on the couch and didn't move for three days. It was the first time in a very long time that I remember being that sick. It sucked.

But now I'm recovered and finally feeling normal. Woohoo for that! Now I'm diving into the mile long "to-do" list I've got for Scrap-a-palooza this Saturday! So much for being way ahead! This year I'm teaching three different paid classes, four demos up on the big screen (I swear, it's the size of a movie screen!) and I'm also teaching a free class to all 200 people on the big screen. It's going to be a crazy day!


Anonymous said...

Your strep throat/tonsilitis combo platter is stirring up way too many childhood memories for me. I think I'm having flashbacks. ;)

kroller said...

I'm so sorry, all that sounds terrible. Glad you're feeling better though! Being a mom, (stay at home or not) should seriously come with a paid vacation somewhere each year and sick days accompanied with free childcare LOL No matter what--I am sure things will be great. Hope all stays well. : )

Nikki Sivils said...

Allison- Sorry to hear you are sick!! Strep... yuck!!
I met your mom and aunt today, they were so very nice to me!! I hope you will have fun playing around with my paper lines that Scrapbook Generations bought!! (My first sale!) Woo Hoo!! We took pic too! I'm going to try to get to Scrap-a-palooza Saturday. Hope you feel better!

Anonymous said...

Hi Allison,
Sorry to hear how sick you got. It really sucks when your a mom also, so much to do. I just got my first ear infection as an adult about 2 months ago it also took me 3 days to get better. Glad your ok now. Have fun this weekend. So what happened with Drew's rash? Hope nothing to serious.

PattiM said...

So glad your feeling better! It's always hard taking care of the kids when your a sick Mom.


(Pattie's passion)

I Scrap So All Moments Are Remembered!

noel joy said...

oh man ali. that's horrible. thank goodness it was something antibiotics could fix. blech!

hope saturday goes well for ya. :)

Conquest Keepsakes said...

Hey Allison, for what it's worth, you looked great at the crop, and did a wonderful job on the overheads, I was really impressed by the whole event. It was really well done, great food, snazzy chocolate fountain, etc. I thought it was one of the best crops I've ever attended. Nikki and I had a blast (and I even got crazy with the glimmer mists!) You guys deserve all the props for putting on a great event. Can't wait for September!

Vicki C.

Anonymous said...

Please call it H1N1. I know you're a midwesterner so you will understand that our pork producers are hurting in a big way because of the ignorance of people thinking they will catch this by eating pork.