Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Vacation Recap - Universal Studios

First, before I get into the vacation post, I wanted to share a few links with you from last week. I had suggested people who had used the free March sketch from Sketch Week to post a link in the comments to their layout and then I would post the link on Monday for everyone. I always schedule my posts in advance so I missed a few that were posted later. Be sure to check them out and see how these two used the sketch!

The first is from Julia at http://juliesjournaloflife.blogspot.com/ and you can see her pretty layout by clicking here.
 
The second is from shutterbuggin at http://tiggersscrapplace.blogspot.com/ and you can see her unique take on the sketch by clicking here.

Thank you for sharing your layouts with us!

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
  
About two weeks ago we packed up the car and headed to Florida for a little Spring Break fun. I have decided that we are going to vacation every Spring Break. The temperature was perfect and the crowds were non-existent. We really lucked out with the whole crowd thing. Our Spring Break fell before the big, crowd crazy Spring Breaks. 

The first day, after a 19 hour drive (yuck!), we went to Universal Studios. 



This is one of my favorite theme parks but we had to miss out the last time we went to Florida in 2011. The boys just weren't quite old enough, Jackson wouldn't have been able to ride anything. This year, however, he was an inch over the height requirement for most of the rides so we were in!

When we arrived we instantly knew that we had picked the perfect vacation time. It almost looked like we were the only ones there. The longest we waited in line was 10 minutes. It was awesome! We had a chance to ride everything. Except the massive roller coaster that even I, a roller coaster fan, was terrified of.  

We shot at aliens as MIB in training, became Minions in a wild Despicable Me adventure, almost got swept away in a tornado, went on a bike riding mission with ET, took part as extras in a big disaster movie, met Barney, a transformer, Donkey, Shrek, and Scooby Doo, took a picture with Jaws, visited a pineapple under the sea, and meet some famous animals from movies like MIB, Ace Ventura, Little Rascals, and so much more!

At first the boys were skeptical of every ride. We would get to a ride and they both would say they were too scared and didn't want to do it. Finally, I made the executive decision to actually make them ride something. Now before you go and call family services on me, I know that sounds kind of mean but I've been to Univeral several times so I knew what these rides included. I also know my kids and was positive that if they would just ride them, they would love it. And they did. They would protest going in and then laugh and talk a mile a minute on the way out. The one that Drew protested the most ended up being his favorite of the day. I thought it was not only a fun day but a good lesson in trying new things. 

By the time we were leaving Univeral the boys had thanked Mike and I a million times for the great vacation. It was so sweet and I was so happy to hear how appreciative they were. The ultimate sign that we had a fun day? Drew fell asleep at dinner in the restaurant.

3 comments:

Julie in Sweden said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Looking forward to seeing some LO with the photos and stories behind them.

Julie B said...

Do you think we'll get to see any layouts from your trip? ; - ) Love the new look of the blog!

dawn said...

How fun this is to read, love all the pictures. Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

We leave a couple weeks for our Disney trip and Universal is one that we chose not to visit. We are going to Epcot instead, hope I won't be sorry now after seeing your fun pictures. We are so excited and can't wait to go!! We are also driving the long trip there too, hoping it goes well.

Love that the boys loved it so much and had fun. My dad also made me ride a roller coaster at age 12 for the first time. I hated it and never went on one again, seeing your boys love it and enjoyed makes me happy. Now with my kids this year I've told them I will be brave for them so we can ride together. Wish me LUCK!!