Friday, April 19, 2013

Sketch Week, Day 3

If you haven't yet be sure to visit the Scrapbook Generation online store to grab the free sketch for April! It the same sketch that I've been using as a starting point for my layouts this week.

Scrapbook Generation's April Free Sketch
* you can download by clicking here
 
 
"Learning To Ride"
 
 
Supplies - Cardstock: Bazzill; Patterned paper: My Mind's Eye, Echo Park, Imaginisce, and BoBunny; Chipboard alphabet: American Crafts; Alphabet stickers: My Mind's Eye; Star punch: EK Success; Tire track stickers: EK Success; Paint: Ranger; Ink: Colorbox Fluid Chalk Ink; Embroidery floss: DMC

I really changed a lot on the sketch to make this layout but, you can still see where the sketch played it's part in inspiring the ideas. 

Variation #1 - Just like yesterday, I stretched the sketch to a two-page layout. 

Variation #2 - I wanted to include more pictures and several of the pictures I wanted to use didn't allow for much cropping. I decided to go ahead and stretch the photos all the way to the top and bottom of the page instead of the 9" height of the photos (combined) on the sketch. Since there is nothing above or below the photo block I didn't have to adjust anything with the added height. 

Variation #3 - Instead of using a 2 x 2" photo on the right I used a full wallet size (2-1/2 x 3-1/2). If I would have cropped it down I would have been either cutting off his feet or his head. There was plenty of space to allow for a larger photo so I just left it as is.

Variation #4 - I always love trying to find unique ways to alter the papers and background on a sketch. One of my favorites is to convert the background to shapes, like the stars I used on my layout. This is an easy way to add a very different spin on the sketch. Other shapes would work too like squares, circles, or hearts.


I used three large stars as the base and then accented with several smaller stars. I also added in some tire track stickers to fit the theme of the layout. The cluster of stars going across the page fills just about the same space that the background on the sketch does.

Variation #5 - I hope you guys aren't tired of journaling strips just yet! Journaling strips were perfect for this design because you can form the strips to a specific design. I arranged mine so that they fit, mostly, within the star. With a journaling block it might have covered up too much of the star but with journaling strips you see enough of the star peeking out and it doesn't lose it's shape. 
 
 

Be sure to check back Monday to see who won the download giveaway! And, if you create a layout based on the sketch from this week leave a link in the comments and then on Monday I'll post all the links so everyone can go check them out.  
 
Have a wonderful weekend! 

28 comments:

hrk_md said...

Love the conversion of the one page sketch to a two page layout. As always great ideas.

tape said...

Love the stars!

Kelly said...

love the layered stars with the stitching!

Janelle H. said...

Love all three days - you always make it so easy to stretch your singles into double-page layouts. Really like all your custom embellishments and the way you make your clusters. Thanks for another great week!

LouAnn said...

Love that you did another 2 pager. I'm hoping to get a chance to play with this sketch today.

allimci said...

Loving the stars!

Miss Misi said...

Nice variation. I like the stars!

dawn said...

LOVE LOVE THE STARS!! Great job getting all the pictures in here, so awesome! I bet Drew loves this page about him and his cool bike!!

wteagon said...

WOW!!!! This one is totally my favorite!! I love everything about it. The color combos, the large stars, as always, the hand stitching, and how it just screams "boy". I think I even have all that paper (love how you don't even know the polka-dot paper is halloween!) and this is a perfect way to throw them all together for a great layout! I just love your work, Allison!

Lara said...

love the stars! they would look great with all my sports pictures! Thanks so much for all your work and efforts in sharing your products and ideas!

Tasha said...

Love it! You used my favorite thickers font from CHA.

Steffanie said...

Again...love how easily you have stretched this into a 2-pager! Looks effortless! Thanks, Allison, for all your inspiration!

marionh said...

Love the stars and the colours

Cathy A. said...

Really like the stars and the stitching!

Diane said...

Rocks as usual and I love the stitching on the stars. Kudos on the photos....love love the facial expressions. Priceless!

crimsoncat05 said...

I love how you added in the 'shaped' background! I really like how you include those extra touches of stitching and inking the edges of the papers.

Lisa Dones said...

I think we got a bonus sketch!! Love it, I always love stars they are to boy layouts what flowers are to girl layouts!

Julie in Sweden said...

Love the variation on the sketch. Great inspiration to change things. Fab photos of Drew. Really like the one with his feet up - a real goof ball.

Melanie said...

I like how you changed it to a 2 page layout :)

Julie B said...

I love when you show us how to stretch a one page layout into two pages. Thank you!!

Chanel's Owner aka Michelle said...

Love the stars!!!

Kathy Bechtel said...

Is the stitching machine stitched or hand stitched? How do you hide the tails on each end?

momtotucknlexi said...

Loved how you made the sketch a 2 page spread again. Definitely not tired of journaling strips- really like how you combined strips and title in the large star. Thanks
Michelle B in RI

Christy said...

I so enjoy sketch week!! Thank YOU!!

Sue P said...

Wonderful - another two page layout. I enjoy seeing how you convert the sketch to a two page layout.

TinaGAle said...

Love being able to use whatever photos we have with your sketches and they still work. Thanks again for the free sketch.

Jennifer Cowan said...

I found time earlier this week to use your sketch!!! It made my layout go together so quickly.

Thanks Allison!!!

http://thecowanlife.blogspot.com/2013/04/ashley-and-aidan.html

Allison Davis said...

Kathy, I always hand stitch and use a piece of tape/adhesive to adhere the tail to the back. :)