Saturday, April 12, 2008

To exhausted and beyond...

(I'm not responsible for any typos in this post. I'm running on very little sleep over the course of almost a week! Watch out for rambling too!)

What a week it's been. One that I hope we never have to go through again.

On Tuesday Drew woke up with a tiny little cough. Nothing that we were really worried about. We just assumed he had another cold. As the day went on he couldn't keep anything down and I started to notice that his breathing looked a little off. At about 5:00 p.m. he was scaring me. His breathing was worse and he was starting to act funny. He kept humming and laughing, but not in a good way. It was just odd. I don't even know how to explain it. I got him dressed and flew out the door. The drive to the emergency room was a trip down memory lane of my racing days minus the #19 on the side of the vehicle.

We got to the emergency room and when they brought him in the little room to check his vitals the nurse told me, "It's a good thing you brought him in. He's fighting to breath." WHAT! I knew he was sick but never thought it would be at that level! They immediately took him into a room and put him on oxygen. The rest of that night was torture for all of us. Watching his pulse oxygen levels stay in low numbers, the three attempts to get an IV in his arm, the three times they had to re-wrap his IV because he kept trying to pull it off, getting the oxygen tubes in his nose...not a good evening. By the end of the night whenever a nurse would walk in the room, Drew would flip out. I've never felt so helpless. It was awful. He kept crying "I want my Mommy!" over and over. I hated that I couldn't do anything to help and nothing seemed to comfort him. Usually they only let one parent stay overnight in the room but they said that since I was 8 months pregnant both Mike and I could stay and I could sleep in the bed with him. I don't know if I ever really slept or if I just hung around in that half asleep, half awake stage all night. (I'm pretty sure that I've been stuck in that state since then!)

(Usually this isn't something I would have taken pictures of. It's not like I made sure I had my camera in tow before we left to go to the emergency room or ran home and got it. I'm not that die-hard of a scrapbooker! The store had borrowed my camera the day before and Stacey returned it when she visited. I swear I'm not crazy-capture-everything-picture-lady!)

To make a really long story short we ended up staying in the hospital for three days. The first night was rough, especially seeing him hooked up to so many monitors and IVs. We started to feel a little better the next day since he was pretty playful and they took him off the IV fluids and oxygen. He even had a cookie picnic with Mom and played in the play room for a long time. He seemed to be doing really well but we had to stay so they could monitor his breathing through the night. As soon as he could make it through the night without having to be on oxygen we could go home. We thought he would get to go home after the second night since he was doing really well but at about 3:00 a.m. the alarms went off and he had to go back on oxygen.

When they did finally send us home I freaked out. I was terrified to take him home. Mike made me laugh a little in my head when I had my break down episode before we left. There I was in tears and he said, "um, do I need to hug you or something?" What a goof ball. I knew at some point I would have a good little cry I just didn't know when it would hit. I've always kind of had the Scarlett O'Hara mentality about the tough things in life. That whole - I can't think about it right now, I'll think about it tomorrow - thing. I guess normal people would call it denial...

Being home isn't really any better than being at the hospital. Let's just say that I'm not getting anymore sleep here than I did there. I'm watching him like a hawk! If he's sleeping then I can't. I go in his room every hour to check on him. I know that he's fine but when you've just watched your child spend three days in the hospital due to breathing issues it's kind of hard not to want to watch him every second. It just scary being here and not having an alarm going off to let us know when something is wrong. I beginning to forget what sleep feels like. Add in being 8 months pregnant and I'm beyond exhausted!

We never got a for sure diagonsis but we do know that everything should be fine. Right now they are saying something along the lines of viral asthma and we will find out more at his doctor appointment. He's on so many medications that I've had to write down the times he's taken each one because I'm terrified that I'll mess up or forget something. I'll be glad when we are done with all of those. Right now we look like a pharmacy! Thank goodness he's been really good about taking everything. I can't imagine how hard it would be if he struggled every time we had to give him something.

Anyway, this turned into a super long post. Thank you so much to everyone who called or asked about Drew. It's very much appreciated!


Amanda said...

OMG. How incredibly scary!! Giant hugs to you and to Drew and I hope you're able to get some sleep soon (though I totally hear ya on checking every hour and know I'd do the same thing!). Saying a little prayer for a speedy recovery with absolutely no relapse!

Kodi Logan said...

Wow. That post brought tears to my eyes.I can't imagine having to go through that...especially at 8 months pregnant. I would be a wreck. I hope he stays well and I hope you get some good sleep very soon!

Erica Hettwer said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad he's okay. What a stressful and terrifying experience. I hope you get some more sleep this week!


joscelyne cutchens said...

OH NO!!!! ((((hugs)))) how scary! I hope everything resolves and soon!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear that Drew has been so sick. I'll definately put him in my prayers!

Leslie Keithley

Kay said...

OMGosh!! What a horrific experience! I will keep your little man in my prayers. I know it's hard to ask for help but maybe you could get someone to come sit with him while you get some rest? I hope the doc has good news for you.

Anonymous said...


I was very sorry to hear that Drew was so sick. You are all in my prayers. This was a good day to stay home and nap. I hope that all of you got some good rest.

Debbie Linton

Pamela said...

Wow...very scary experience...I hope you never have to go through that again! Take care of yourself and take care of that little boy. :) You guys are in my prayers.

noel joy said...

omg ali... i'm so sorry. that is terrifying! i hope he's doing better. i'll be thinking of and praying for you guys this week.

{{hugs}} to you and your little man.

Allison Davis said...

Thank you all so much! He's doing so much better. To look at him you would never know that he was in the hospital. I'm still lacking in the sleep department. I'm hoping that maybe I'll relax a little after we see his dr. next week! Again thank you all so much! :)