Monday, December 1, 2008

Chipboard, again.

Between a few deadlines and Thanksgiving I had to push my page a day onto the back burner for a bit. I started it back up as of yesterday and I'm going to continue the bare chipboard this week since I only got one page done with it.

Sunday



On this page I used chipboard squares underneath a part of the photo. There are two ways you can do that. Order or print two of the same photo, trace the square onto the photo and cut it out or lay the square onto the photo and cut it out with an exacto knife. Either way, it's really simple and a great way to make a certain part of the photo stand out. You can also "cheat" and cut out a square of the photo and use pop dots for the same effect.

I had a few people ask how in the world I can do a page a day with two kids so I thought I would share a few of my page a day secrets.

1. Plan, plan, plan. I sit down on Saturday or Sunday and figure out what pictures I want to scrapbook during the week. I order the photos and organize them in a photo box when I get home. Sometimes I'll take a few minutes to pick out the papers to go with each group of photos all at once. At the beginning of the day I decide what pictures I'm going to scrapbook that day and put them in a place where I can see them often as I go about my day. Sometimes I'll walk by them and get ideas for the title, journaling or design.

2. Clean up. When I'm doing a page a day I make myself clean up my area after each page. When I don't clean up immediately that stuff piles up and before I know it I hardly have room on my table. I save myself a lot of time by cleaning up then instead of waiting until later.

3. Photo Placement. I use the same photo placement a lot. To make each one different I just change up the papers and embellishments. Each layout is completely different than the others but I didn't have to waste time trying to figure out where to put the photos. Plus there is only so much you can do with 4 x 6 photos. If I have 3 vertical photos, chances are I'm going to use the same photo placement several times. I don't worry about having a new arrangement each layout.

4. Make a rectangle. A lot of times I figure out where I want my photos to go on the page and then use patterned papers to fill in empty space and create a rectangle on my page. Not only is it easy but it's a no fail option. Look through my posts and you'll probably see a lot of rectangles.

I added a few more items to the chipboard giveaway since I'm doing it again this week. :)

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! :)

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute LO! Tip #2 is the hardest one for me and I know it's the one that can keep me from diving into another project. I hate doing it yet I'm not feeling like being creative when my scrap desk is cluttered with the previous projects! Got any tips on being motivated? :)
sandee

~ Kim ~ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~ Kim ~ said...

Thanks for the tips!! And just for the record, I am soooo glad its chipboard again!! :-) I love chipboard!!!!

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

Mel said...

What a great LO! I also love that you shared your way to get the page a day thing done. I've been struggling with time, and you've given me some great pointers. Thanks!
Melissa
OKC, OK :)

Christie said...

Love how you did the one part of the photo on chipboard. I'm going to be using that one!
I just love your layouts! Thanks for sharing them!

Trishamaus2005 said...

Another fantastic LO. I really like how you used the chipboard under the photos. I was wondering how people did that. I looks so cute and it is a really great way to pop the focal point. Thanks for sharing your tips, I will have to give it a shot.

Anonymous said...

Zero kids here and I can't get a page done each day. So yessssss girl you rawk! I think I might need to add some dedication to my organization.
BTW I love when I find a blog belonging to a fellow MO.
Sher

Anonymous said...

I love the fishing pole. I have just the pics to try that with--my little guys 1st fish experience was hilarious (the look on his face-when the fish wiggled and he realized it was alive-after he picked it up was too funny.) Probably the most enjoyable fishing trip I've had. lol

Happy it's chipboard again too!!

Allison said...

Great tips and great LO! I keep saying that soon I'll have enough fishing LO's to make a whole album - it's ridiculous! I love the chipboard idea... I have a bunch of those Bazzil chips that I'm not sure what to do with. Good solution.

Kodi Logan said...

Such a creative idea. I love this one! I'll definitely be trying it out!

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying your pages so much. Thanks for the idea for popping the photo.
Linda J

Anonymous said...

Keep the layouts coming. I also need to know uses for chipboard that I have had for a couple years. Love the fishing buddy layout.

Linda A

TanyaS said...

What a great layout - thanks for the tips!!! ~TanyaS

Anonymous said...

Allison, I was going crazy waiting to see your next LO. I love the fishing buddy, I've done several pages like that. My husband's fave to do is fish.Thanks for the great tips to use. We had a great Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

You gave me some good ideas that I could use on my scrapbook pages of my dog.

Anonymous said...

love your ideas thanks

Jen K said...

Thanks for the layout recommendations! looking forward to an addition to the giveaway!

Marcia said...

I have to agree with another poster, number 2 is the hardest for me, but I will admit that I am more creative when I do clean up after each page!

Mom2TwoBoys said...

Thanks for the break...I've been trying to keep up and with two sickies in my house this past week it made it impossible. Game on again though! Beautiful layout as always...can't wait to see more!

Laura said...

You do get alot done! I am more productive if I have a mess! A clean space is difficult for me to work with.

Anonymous said...

You do a great job on your layouts! Thanks for the tips!

Stacie

Anonymous said...

Hi Allison!

I was wanting to enter the contest for the chipboard giveaway!

I love your page a day challenge and it's a great way to get all of your scrapbook pages done that you want to get done. I love all of your layouts it's so cute and adorable. Keep up the good work!

I do scrapbook classes at your mom's and aunt's store. I'm Debbie Linton's daughter Ashley!

Ashley Linton