Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Scooby Doo, where are you?

He was at the Davis house last Sunday.

Drew was very certain that he wanted a Scooby Doo theme for his birthday party. Scooby has to be getting old since I remember loving him when I was little. Add that up in dog years and wowza! That's one old puppy.

You all gave me some great ideas for our Scooby Doo theme and I had a lot of fun planning and making everything. Everything that is except for the cake. Drew is in a "get into things I'm not suppose to and hide it in odd places" phase. Like spatulas under his bed, Glimmer Mists in my desk drawer, glue in the pantry, etc. He got into my cake decorating supplies and hid half the stuff I needed. I would move onto the next step of making the cake only to find I didn't have the right tool or tip or color. It was like a treasure hunt mixed in with cake decorating. It was one long night.

Probably the most fun decoration of the bunch was a dog food bowl filled with "Scooby Snacks" aka, Chex cereal covered in chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar.


The little box of "Scooby Snacks" were made from cereal boxes that come in variety pack. I painted them green and then added all the fun little details. The Scooby Doo was cut out of a treat bag crayon box. I looked for Scooby Doo scrapbooking supplies but found myself out of luck so I ended up using Scooby Doo pictures cut out of all kind of things.

For the banner Drew requested to have one just like Jackson's. He can't stand for Jackson to have something that he doesn't get too.


The only difference is that I used a two different sizes. The smaller ones had a paw print with the letters to spell Drew's name and the larger ones had cirlces, paw prints and Scooby Doo. Just like Jackson's, this one will move into Drew's bedroom.

As far as the cake goes...


Let's just say it's a good thing I call myself a scrapbooker and not a cake decorator! The kids are just going to have to deal with not so pretty cakes because I'll always be the one to make them. It's just one of those little things that is important to me.

This ended up being my favorite photo from the day.


Usually I take a ton of photos but we had a surprise mishap that put a little damper on that. We got Drew a pool for his birthday, nothing fancy, just a plastic pool with a slide. About two hours before the party Mike went out to mow the yard. We had the pool hiding in the garage and when Mike put it out in the driveway so he could get the lawn mower out he didn't realize that Drew was peeking out the front window. From that moment on all Drew wanted to do was swim and splash the day away. We barely got him to come out of the pool to open presents. How crazy is that! I got a few pictures of him zooming through his presents and a few of him with his cake and that was about it. BUT, he had a great time and that's all that mattered to me.

12 comments:

dawn said...

Wow allison you are so creative. I love the little scooby snack boxes and the chex. The banner looks awesome love the colors and all the details. Cool to put punched out paw prints everywhere. I think the cake looks pretty good. Look at Drew how big and so much older he looks in the photo. He looks older without all those cute red curls and love the expression on his face. Now you have a funny story about him seeing his pool before the party, you could make a cool page about that just like his 2nd bday layout. Thanks for sharing these with us.

Kelly said...

Those boxes are ADORABLE! My boys would love that. I love that you put the puppy chow in a dog dish. That's hilarious!

Scrapthat said...

The cake looks fabulous Allison!! and as you said...the only thing that really mattered was Drew had fun!! Glad you all had a great day! :)

Anonymous said...

The decorations are fabulous & I think the cake looks great. I make mine one every year as well. It comes from the heart. I'm glad he had a good time. Thanks for sharing the photos with us.

Amy S.

Sunshine and Shadows said...

I love the cake. The Scooby snacks and boxes are perfect!

kroller said...

I can't believe how much older he looks! You'll have girls lining up at your door some day soon! Love the Scooby snacks ( puppy chow is awesome!)...it's so sweet at all the time and details you give them each b-day (and everyday in their scrapbooks!) you are so creative and I wish I could find the energy to do the same. : ) I 'll have to live vicariously through you..LOL Thanks for sharing all the pics.
Amy

Penny Peck said...

I think you should become a party planner i your spare time!!

Luv2talk said...

Wow! Your attention to detail is apparent in your birthday decorations as well as you LO's.

The SCOOBY SNACKS in the dog dish is, indeed, HILARIOUS. I bet the kids got a good laugh out of that.

I also agree with the above poster about how Drew looks so much older without the curls.

Way to put on a good show. Pat yourself on the back. It all looked great! :)

Colleen said...

Such cute decorations. Looks like a fun time!

Amy from KC said...

What a great party theme, Ali! You know you really scored with that pool for Drew. It is sweet that you make Drew's cakes every year, and good to be in ultimate control of how it turns out. (Remember the Cars cake!) It looks like a really great party, and the decorations were adorable.

I make my son's cake every year, and it always takes me longer than I anticipate. Last year we had a fish theme, and I discussed the cake with Nathan beforehand. It took a lot more fondant and time to cut out circles for the scales than I had planned, and I was up pretty late that night. The next day when I brought it out at the party, expecting a big wow, I sure got one. Nate looked at the cake and said, "What?!! I wanted a monkey!!" (I made a monkey for his 2nd b-day.) He loved the fish, and did remember it was our plan, but that reaction... It is a new inside joke in our extended family that we use whenever we are surprised.

Allison Davis said...

Thank you everyone! It was such a fun party theme! :)

Michele Mc said...

Looks like am amazing party, with a very loving Mommy behind it! Love all the decorations, especially the banner. So much attention to detail, it's fantastic! I think the cake is great and your boys will have so many great memories of their birthdays. Now take a well deserved rest!!