The sketch, from Sketches for Scrapbooking, Volume One, that I am using as my starting point for each layout.
Layout #3 - "Making Music"
Supply list - Cardstock: Bazzill, Patterned papers: Making Memories (music notes), My Mind's Eye (orange), October Afternoon (dotted), Fancy Pants Designs (blue), and Sassafras Lass (stripe and piano keys); Music notes: Bazzill Basics Paper; Alphabets: American Crafts (making) and My Mind's Eye (music); Circles: Creative Imaginations; jewels: KaiserCraft; Glossy Accent: Ranger; Crackle paint: Tim Holtz, Ranger
• Variation #1 - If you ever find a sketch that you love but it has a bunch of smaller photos and you are all about the 4 x 6 photos, no problem. I would say that most often you can substitute 4 x 6 photos and make that sketch work for your style. On this layout I used 4 x 6 photos in place of every photo on the sketch. It still has the same overall design and the only huge difference is that the two photos on the right page go all the way to the top and bottom of the layout.
• Variation #2 - I also added a 2 1/2" photo beside the photos on the right page for no reason other than I had another picture that I really wanted to get on the page and that felt like a good spot to me! :)
• Variation #3 - Because I changed the photos to 4 x 6 I also had to change the papers a little. I used a technique that I like to call stretching. The photos would have been covering more of the paper than I had wanted so I used 4" x 7" pieces instead of 3" x 7" pieces. I also left one strip out since the 4 x 6 photos on the right page would have completely covered it. Instead I just added the pictures in place of the strip. You can do this with so many sketches, whether it's to add more photos, larger photos or more journaling. Just image that you are taking the design and stretching it like a piece a taffy.
• Variation #4 - In place of the flourish on the sketch I used several different chipboard music notes. I added patterned papers and ink to them and then added a little texture to a few with Glossy Accents and crackle paint. I used the Glossy Accents on the music notes with the dotted paper. It doesn't show up that great in the picture but each dot has a raised and glossy surface. The plain black music notes both have crackle paint in Rock Candy.
• Variation #5 - I did use circles for the smaller accents on the page but I only used one instead of the suggest three. Well actually I used one large circle and then three small jewels. On layout #1 from Monday I had moved the circles on the left page and I did the same on this one and for pretty much the same reason. I was afraid that adding it as suggested on the sketch would have made that area a little too busy and the circle would have been lost in the music notes.
• Variation #6 - So far I've used a different stitched line across the striped strip on each page. This time I added another strip of pattered paper (the piano keys) partially across the striped strip and then stitched a straight line across the top.
• Variation #7 - And the last one, a small one, instead of having the journaling strips all even I staggered them.
Day #3 means it's your third chance at the giveaway! :)